Grease and line a baking dish with
either waxed or baking paper (I use a Cornola Cooking Spray).
Note: (I spray the top of the paper lining the dish as this makes it much easier to pull off the paper once sponge has been cooked)
Beat egg whites until stiff (Using
an electric mixer)
While mixer is running, add egg yolks to mixture - mix well
While mixer is running, gradually add sugar to the mixture (dropping spoonfuls over it) - mix until mixture becomes thick (sugar should have dissolved).
Gently fold the sifted dry ingredients into the mixture (I find it much easier to fold these dry ingredients into the mixture in a larger bowl – with a large whisk)
1 tspn flour
1 Tbspn cocoa
Pour mixture onto the greased paper lined baking / oven dish. (Refer below for sizing comments)
Bake for 10
– 15 minutes @ 200oC (190oC in a FAN Oven)
(Baking time will differ with larger baking dish eg 3 x recipe – 20 minutes)
· Prepare a light towel eg, tea towel and sprinkle cornflour evenly over it (use a sifter) in readiness for when the sponge is cooked.
· The sponge is cooked once it starts to come away from the sides of the dish.
1 knob of butter ) heat water and butter in microwave
2 Tbspns cold water )
1 cup icing sugar (sifted) -
could well need more
1 raised Tbspn cocoa (sifted)
Add dry ingredients to water and butter
mixture and beat together to a smooth consistency - using a whisk (ensuring no
May need to add more icing sugar / hot water to get the consistency right (refer note below).
· The mixture needs to be easily spreadable with a little thickness (not really runny), otherwise you will lift the top skin layer off the sponge when spreading it over it.
If the icing is too dry it will rip the top
layer off the sponge as you try to spread it over – better a little too runny
than too stiff.
· The icing also covers any damaged parts to the sponge during rolling etc.
· The above recipe is for a sponge roll tin with low sides - size: 240 x 330mm (depth 20mm)
· I make 3 times the mixture and use a large square deep dish - size: 350 x 370mm (depth 80mm)